We nearly died trying to see TJF in St. Louis!

Talk about all things TJF here!

Moderators: Michael, Admin

We nearly died trying to see TJF in St. Louis!

Postby orthofox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:32 pm

My girlfriend and I have been huge TJF fans for a year now. I was completely jazzed to see they were coming to St. Louis, even though we live in Columbia, MO (2 hours away). I bought the tickets the day they went on sale and we put them on our fridge. There they sat while we waited for the big show - almost like two Xmas presents waiting to be opened. After months of waiting and rocking out to The Big Roar, the big day arrived at last. We bugged out of work early and started our two hour drive to St. Louis, TJF blaring on my ipod. As we got into St. Louis - the skies turned green orange and a low dark grey cloud began to circle overhead. We finally turned off The Big Roar long enough to find a radio station that informed us that there was a large torando right behind us. After several expletives and a childish act in my pants, I got off the highway and started driving north out of the path of the storm. We watched the black mass roll down the highway, lightening and hail included. Undaunted - we got back on the highway and continued our journey to the venue, only to have the highway turn into a parking lot on us. The tornado had inflicted so much damage that they shut the entirity of I-70 down. We sat there - unable to move for 4 hours. The show came and went as we watched minutes tick by on the dashboard clock and our tickets crumple in our clenched fists. Finally at 1:00 AM, the police got us off the highway so that we could return home again - long 2 hour drive home. Eight hours in the car, a brush with an epic meteorologic death, and no Joy Formidable. I never knew life could be so cruel!

My request to TJF gods.....How can I buy a couple of concert T-Shirts? I need some memento of our near death and failed attempt to see one of our favorite bands!

Thanks -

Derek
orthofox
Cradle

Re: We nearly died trying to see TJF in St. Louis!

Postby blir » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Heartbreaking! :(
blir
Austere

Postby doll » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:04 pm

That is such a sad (and scary) story. Perhaps, we should have a SBC whip round and see if we can sort you both out some goodies. Who's in?
doll
Whirring

Postby blir » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I've got a torn insert I could send.
blir
Austere

Postby doll » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm

blir wrote:I've got a torn insert I could send.

That just sounds plain wrong!!
doll
Whirring

Postby orthofox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Firstly, thank you, 'doll' for your kind reply. Yes - it was incredibly scary....especially when a van-load of Storm Chasers went zipping by us. Although my lovely partner was very excited by this, it occured to me that they were probably NOT also going to see the TJF show (their loss) and rather - we were inadverently also chasing a tornado that possessed the force to actually demolish the St. Louis airport several minutes later.

Secondly - not to profess my own ignorance too loudly, but I have no idea what an 'SBC whip round' is - but I'm definitely game! Even if it is some cruel joke on us - it STILL cannot be worse than sitting on an expressway for 4 hours with full bladders realizing the concert you've been looking forward to seeing for months was going down a few miles away - and yet completely unreachable.
orthofox
Cradle

Postby doll » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Apologies Derek for my Mancunian speak!
SBC = Special Bus Crew it's the name that has been given to a collective of weird and wonderful Joy Formidable fans who travel across the globe to watch the band.
Whip round = Mancunian slang for making a collection.
Hope that helps :-)
doll
Whirring

Postby orthofox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Doll, no apologies necessary - the idea is brilliant and undeserved!

That said - just in case the SBC is in a generous mood and feels the desire to compensate us for our tribulations, I have made up a quick "whip round" wish list:

1) Tickets to see TJF in Wales on May 18th, including round trip airfare (business class, please) out of Kansas City - as the St. Louis Airport is still destroyed by the same tornado that nearly killed us trying to see TJF the first time.

2) TJF to play a concert in our back-yard during which I will serve mixed drinks I will cleverly call "tornadoes" followed by pints of Facer's Flintshire Bitter (which I will call "storm chasers" - just for the night).

3) One of Ritzy's guitar's, autographed and scratched during a live performance of "Austere".

Recognizing that these items may be beyond the reach of the SBC, I will settle for two concert T-shirts (one men's L and one woman's S) and will even pay for them. Just somebody tell me who to send money to.

Oh, and one more thing. If Ritzy, Rhydian and/or Matt are reading this - please, please return to the US soon and give us one more chance at seeing you live. Maybe consider some dates in the fall....less chance of severe storms. Dammit - I'm still mourning the loss of this show.....
orthofox
Cradle

Postby Vetiver » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm sure when Boss & the band hear about this T. shirts will be on the way to you both.
Vetiver
Austere

Postby orthofox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks to Doll & Vetiver for the kind responses! Despite having to Google words like "Mancunian", the significant other and I are now wishing to become members of the SBC! Anything to get another crack at seeing TJF live!

Cheers, kids! And enjoy the show in Cleveland tomorrow night you lucky bastards! Go early and beware low hanging dark clouds.
orthofox
Cradle

Postby donogh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:03 am

Just seeing this thread! I've a large TJF t-shirt only worn once that's too big for me - the butterfly one and It's pretty old ..... Pm me with your address and its yours!
donogh
The Big Roar

Postby hibster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 pm

im going to the wales show supporting the manics & the bristol dot to dot & can get you a shirt from either of those if they are selling them
this is why events unnerve me
hibster
The Big Roar

Postby blir » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:19 pm

orthofox wrote:Thanks to Doll & Vetiver for the kind responses! Despite having to Google words like "Mancunian", the significant other and I are now wishing to become members of the SBC! Anything to get another crack at seeing TJF live!

Keep your ears peeled...they've persistently mentioned a return trip to the US later this year. I don't know the circumstance, if it's around a festival or whatnot. Hopefully word at some point soon.
blir
Austere

Postby blir » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Ah, here it is. They're on the Lolapalooza bill in Chicago, August 5-7...and easy drive from Columbia!

http://www.lollapalooza.com/
blir
Austere

Postby orthofox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks everyone! We'll definitely look into the Chicago gig. Great excuse to head north to a great town!
orthofox
Cradle

Next

Return to TJF Chat